Welcome to the Richmond Secondary School 'Program Planning' process for 2017-2018. Program planning or course selection is an important undertaking that students in Grades 7 to 11 complete in January and February to prepare for next year. As students move from Grade 8 through to graduation, we encourage you to keep an open mind and explore and learn in a wide variety of curricular and extracurricular areas. While your future is very important, high school is not just about preparing for university and a career. Our hope is that you learn interesting things about yourself and the world, develop your ability to communicate effectively using many platforms, refine your critical and creative thinking skills and grow your personal and social awareness and responsibility. Over the next five years, we also hope you discover where your interests and passions are and plan for the kind of education or training you will pursue beyond high school. Program planning is building your timetable for next year, so choose, check and confirm your requests in the spring very carefully, including alternative selections and any summer school plans. Course and timetable changes in September are not always possible.
Course selection in Grade 8 is limited as it is purposely designed to provide our youngest students with an opportunity to explore a wide number of courses to find your strengths and interests. Students have a little more choice in Grade 9 and this flexibility increases steadily each year through to Grade 12. Remember that your official Ministry of Education graduation transcript will show all courses and marks from Grades 10, 11 and 12. As you plan for your graduation, students should be thinking about their post-secondary plans. However, students are still able to consider a wide variety of high school courses while completing necessary university and college prerequisites. Our counsellors and Career Information Advisor can help you understand the courses you need to graduate, the courses which are prerequisites for post-secondary programs, and the courses which may be of benefit for future careers.
Our online course descripitons are designed to give you as much information as possible about the options you have. This is intended to be used in conjunction with the information you will receive from our counsellors and teachers. Think about your goals for your future, including any summer school plans you have, and talk to your parents, teachers, other students and counsellors to find out more. Don’t be afraid to ask for help - this is your future you are planning!
KEYS TO REMEMBER:
1. Please make your course selection choices carefully as it is difficult to change courses once school begins in September.
2. Choose 'alternative' courses carefully - these will be courses you will take if your first choice is full, is in conflict with other courses you have selected or if the course is not offered due to a lack of enrollment.
3. Ask questions - current teachers, parents, older students, the I.B. Coordinator and your counsellor are all great sources of information.
4. Get your completed Program Planning (course selection) form signed by your parents and submitted to the school office by Friday, February 3 - this is very important!
5. If you are entering the I.B. Diploma Programme in Grade 11, go to this website: https://rhsib.wordpress.com.